Marker Text United Methodist Church
Congregation organized in 1883 erected this gothic revival building about 1904.
Its earlier sanctuary had been constructed under the leadership of the rev. H.A. Boaz, who served his first charge here (1889-90).he was elevated to bishop in 1922.
Recorded Texas historic landmark 1970
Latitude: 30.7165 Longitude: -97.4419
Address: 201 South Granger Street
THE BIRTH OF A CHURCH Historical Narrative
There was no church, no altar, just a "Glory Road" to follow, and a small group of courageous people believing and feeling the need for a place to worship God.
A Methodist Church for Granger, that was to be and now is The First United Methodist Church, was born in 1683.
The first meeting place was in a schoolhouse in Granger, Williamson County, Texas. Six years later, in 1889, the members built their first church building, a small frame structure located on the northeast corner of Willis and Broadway Streets, under the pastorate of H. A. Boaz, who later became a Bishop.
Fred Tegge, Sr. was among the thirteen charter members who organized the church, and his daughter, Mrs. Hattie Pope, has been an active member for the past 74 years.
T.H. Norwood served as the first minister of the Granger charge for the year 1883-84 under the presiding Bishop, H. N. McTyeire.
The need for a larger place of worship resulted in the purchase of five lots on which the present church was built. Located on the southeast corner of Elm and Granger streets in block 18, lots number 11-12-13-14-15 were bought from W. W.W. McDaniel and wife Francis, and Ralph McDaniel and wife Jennie for the sum of $1,500.00. The warranty deed was recorded in volume 112, pages 1--3 inclusive at the courthouse in Georgetown, Williamson County, Texas on February 26, 1904, during the ministry of A.L. Moore. At this time, the church trustees were J.J. Parmele, J.D. Campbell, S.A. Scott, J.H. Pennington, and W.A. Miller. A specific date is not known when the new building was started or completed, but the late J.J. Barry was in charge of the construction.
Due to a vast increase in membership, by the year 1916, the architecture of the sanctuary was changed by the addition of two balconies. Later, a tabernacle that had been built east of the church and used for 'Old Fashion Revival Meetings’ , was razed and the lumber was used for improvements to the church.
This addition is now referred to as the Annex and accommodates the church school classes and a meeting place for the Women's Society of Christian Service. Before the Annex, which includes kitchen and bathroom facilities, was built in 1929, an office and primary room have been added to the original building. Pinewood was the primary material used in the construction, cedar shingles and oak in the interior. The dimensions of the entire building are now 58 by 52 feet.
The sanctuary is very restful in its simple beauty, with muted reflections of light from three circles and four full-length stained glass windows, one being in memory of C.N. Eans.
Over one of the entrances is the half-circle stained 'glass that bears the name of the church, Methodist Episcopal Church South, at the time it was built. In 1939 the name was changed to First Methodist by the Uniting Conference. Almost every furnishing necessary for the worship of God has been memorials of the faithful Christian families whose vision was never dimmed down through the years.
This First Methodist Church, some years a full-time charge, others on a circuit, has always been in the Georgetown or Temple District of the Central Texas Conference. Since The Methodist Church merged with The Evangelical United Brethren in April 1968, she now bears the new name THE FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH.