Mrs. Geraldine Heisch was born, raised and went to school at Friendship, through all 8 grades (Friendship no longer had a high school at that time).
Three of her dad's sisters and one brother graduated from Friendship High School in prior years. They lived in the James Allison home. Her paternal grandmother and family moved to that farm in 1925, and as a child (Geraldine was born in 1934), she remembers the family talking about the Old Friendship/Allison school, which had been about 1/2 miles west on Elihu P. Allison's place.
Geraldine's father farmed the James Allison farm which by then had been sold to a Mrs. Pope and later her niece, Nina Covington, inherited it from her.
Geraldine's dad, Tom W. Tallas, served on the Friendship School and Friendship Coop Gin Boards for many years. Mrs. Heisch has very close ties to the old community and to the new Friendship area and is currently in the process of applying for a historical marker for the site.
The community of Allison (later called Friendship) was located on the northern banks of Willis Creek about 4 miles east from the present town of Granger
In 1847 Elihu Creswell Allison and his brother, James A. Allison, moved to Milam County and bought land from Aza Hoxey, part of a six-league Mexican Land Grant to Pedro Zarza before 1836. A contract dated 29 May 1855 shows that Elihu and James received 320 acres apiece out of the six leagues. The part of the county where
(Images of two of these homes are included-pictures A & B. ) The Allisons, along with other families had large cattle interests there. They registered their cattle brands in Williamson County in
The post office was discontinued until 1892 when Calvin
In this community was also built a cotton gin, a store, a church, a
Allison school was builtImages of the school and of students are included-C & D. ) It was later called “Old Friendship” school and this was southwest of the latter town of Friendship. The building was enlarged in 1902 by the Woodmen of the World who used the second floor for their lodge meetings. The bottom floor was used as a classroom. In this room was a large curtain made from ducking material that separated the older children from the younger ones. After the lodge ceased to exist, the top floor was used by the older children. The Allison School District 22
The teachers at this ---
The school was: Miss Frances Poole, Miss Zora Cook, and Beulah Stanley. The Allison Colored District 22
This Allison/Old Friendship School was also usedA image is included of a confirmation class that met here-Picture E.)
Elihu Allison’s youngest child died at age 10, and Elihu buried her on the western edge of his property just south of Willis Creek. She was the first person buried there. His wife, Margaret Matilda, died in 1867 and was buried there also. This Allison family cemetery later became known as the Old Friendship Cemetery. A.A. Young, W.B. Brookshire, and E.P. Allison were trustees of this Friendship Cemetery in November 1888. After the
Located at the east end of the Machu part of the Granger Cemetery. A listing of
Sam Allison operated
Here in the Allison/ Friendship community, the tabernacle was a popular place for revival meetings, often lasting a week. People slept beneath their wagons and their children within the wagon. People came from miles around, bringing enough feed for their horses to stay a week. Good spring; water was handy. Fires were always going with beans bubbling in pots and cornbread baking in the dutch ovens which hot embers surrounded. The men would cut many trees and place them in rows, and the lumberyard would lend them 1x12 planks to lay on them for seats. Some of the people living in the Allison/Friendship area at this time were: The Jim Allisons, The Crawford Allisons, The Polk Allisons, The Tom Winninghams, The Bun Martins, The Gus Wolsches, The Shine Rushings, The Sowells, The
The Allison/Friendship community was a thriving community until
Here was a store run by Clarence Williams, a blacksmith shop operated by Pink Jackson, the Ed White gin, and a school for black children. The flood washed away the gin, blacksmith shop, and the contents of the store. The black school was built by Clarence Young on the north bank of Sore Finger Creek and was used as a school and as a church until 1952. After the flood, Mr. Williams moved his store
After consolidating with two nearby community schools (Enterprise and Centerville), the new Friendship schoolImage of new school-Picture F.)
Enterprise, a rural school nicknamed Cocklebur, east of Friendship, was established about 1900. The nickname was due to the heavy growth of cockleburs
(Image G ) Centerville School, a rural Images H, I, & J) -
The County Superintendent’s Records show the trustees at
Centerville was District 73 inImages K & L included)
Some of the social events in the community were wiener roasts, parties, picnics, and fishing trips. The big event was the Friendship Fair, which lasted
From far and near to attend the fair and to enter many exhibits. It was amazing to see the cooperation of everyone and the hard work they did to make the fairImages M & N included).
The Friendship Grange, No. 1414, was established, and included is a picture showing the groupImage O)
In the school census records in 1925, there are 256 children enrolled in the Friendship Schools (includes the black school, also); in 1936, there were 250 pupils (209 white and 41 coloreds), and in 1941 there were 198 students in the Friendship Consolidated Schools (174 white andPictures of school and student groups are included-Images P, Q, & R. ) A new gymnasium was erected in Images S & T)
The blacksmith shop in this new community was run for many years by Joe Zezulka. The service station had several owners during the years, with the Clarence Lucky Family being the last owners. They sold it to the Zik Safariks, who moved the building to a lot they
The Mozach Gin at Friendship later became the Friendship Co-op Gin with Henry Rozacky
The board were: John Adamek, Rudoph Cadan, Jake Wade, Willie Davidson, Anton Cadan, Tom Tallas
The gin was a busy place. From “Friendship Facts” inImages X, Y, & Z)
A most notable lady from the Friendship Community was Stacy Mikulencak
The Friendship Community, beginning on the banks of Willis Creek and continuing on to the new Friendship located on higher elevation, was indeed a busy, prosperous, and congenial farming community with a variety of crops raised by the hard-working local farmers who hated to see their lands taken away by the Granger Dam. (Images “aa”-“nn”. ) This community is remembered with very fond memories evidenced each third
by Texas Escapes