Norman's Crossing Norman, Avery, Texas History
NORMAN, TEXAS. Norman is at the intersection of Farm Roads 3349 and 1660, seven miles southwest of Taylor in southwestern Williamson County. The initial settlement was called Avery, after Texas Revolution veteran Willis Avery, who settled there around 1850. The Avery school became known as Kimbro and was later called Walnut Springs. In 1903 the Walnut Springs school had fifty-four students. A black school, Svenson's Grove, was located west of the community. M. B. (Mart) Norman bought a farm at the present community site in 1880 and later erected a gin there; the place was then called Norman's Crossing. Norman also ran a store, and his son Isaac added a garage and machine shop in 1914. A Methodist church, Robinson's Chapel, was built nearby. The estimated population rose from twenty-five in the 1930s to sixty during the 1940s. The number of residents then declined and was estimated at twenty from 1952 to 2000. In the mid-1980s, the school building served as a church and community center, and a restaurant occupied the renovated garage.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
Clara Stearns Scarbrough
View Kimbro Family Cemetery below.
The settlement of Avery was established in the mid-1800s by Daniel Kimbro, veteran of the Mexican War and Williamson County pioneer. The small farming community later was known as Norman's Crossing after pioneer M. B. Norman (1856-1921) who came to the area from Alabama in 1872. Besides farming a large tract of land along Brushy Creek, Norman, along with M. R. Kennedy, built and operated the local cotton gin. By 1914 the village boasted a general store, school, church, and a garage and machine shop. Descendants of some of the settler still live in the area. (1982)
History of Norman's Crossing
Historical Narrative by Mrs. Frances Lee
Norman's Crossing, Texas, is located on FM 1660, midway between Hutto, Texas, and Rice's Crossing, Texas. It is a beautiful little settlement surrounded by some of the most productive farming lands in Texas. Down a tree-shaded lane south of the village is Brushy Creek.
As early as 1850 , the village was known as Avery-named for Willis Avery, a San Jacinto veteran, Indian fighter, and cattleman. Avery was settled by Daniel Kimbro, who also signed the 1848 petition to form Williamson County, Texas. The settlement later became known as Norman's Crossing.
Norman's Crossing was named for M.B.(Mart) Norman. Mr. Norman was born in Alabama in 1856 . His education was limited, and he began hustling for himself at a very early age. In January 1873, he resolved to go West, traveling by rail to New Orleans, by boat too, Galveston, and finally by wagon to Williamson County, Texas, where he arrived in February 1873. Here he lived and engaged in farming until his death in 1921. For nine years, Mr. Norman rented land, but on Christmas Day, 1881 , he became the owner of 419 acres south of Brushy Creek. In 1906 he purchased a 618-acre farm north of Brushy Creek from M.R. Kennedy.  It was on this farm. Mr. Norman built a beautiful home, which still adds to the beauty of this community.
M.B. Norman was married on September 12, 1882 , to Nettie Mayhall.
Ten children were born to this union. The only survivor of the immediate M.B. Norman family is Mrs. Lorene McKay of San Antonio, Texas.
For many years Norman's Crossing boasted a very progressive general store. The first store was opened in 1903 by J.M. Patterson and R.C. Crozier . Later owners of the store were H.E. Gainer, M.B. Norman, and Dick Rickard. The store has been converted into a residence, but it still retains the original architectural style of the general store.
Tom Avery's first gin at Norman's Crossing burned in 1878 . In 1892 , M.B. Norman and M.R. Kennedy built a cotton gin for $3000.00. A month before the close of the harvest season, the gin burned. In 1893 the gin was replaced by Norman and Kennedy for $6000.00. This gin was later sold to the Burns Brothers.
A school was maintained in this community, beginning with the Kimbro School  when the community was known as Avery. The school eventually became known as Walnut Springs School as far as the county records were concerned, but the natives knew it as Norman's Crossing School. On December 12, 18949, M.R. Kennedy deeded a plot of land directly across the road from the general store "to be used thereafter for a school for the white school children of the district." The first trustees were:
Walnut Springs School began as a one-teacher school, but later a second teacher was added.
The school was consolidated with the Hutto school in 1950. The building now houses the Brushy Creek Baptist Church. Swenson Grove was a Negro school in the western part of the community. This school was also added to the Hutto district.
Robinson Chapel , a Methodist church, was the church for the community.
It was located on the north bank of Brushy Creek and was named for John and B. Robinson. The congregation merged with the Hutto Methodist Church in 1895 .
In 1914 Isaac Norman, son of M.B. Norman, opened a garage and machine shop in the Norman's Crossing village. Isaac Norman owned and operated this business until his death in 1935. This was a very progressive business due to the mechanical ability of its owner. Customers came from miles around for repairs on their vehicles.
To the casual observer, many changes have occurred in this community, but to those who love and remember this spot, the memories are priceless.
The old gin is gone, the garage is a restaurant, the school is a church, and the general store is a residence. However, Brushy Creek still flows nearby, and I.W. Norman, Jr., grandson of M.B. Norman, and his family own and reside in the magnificent two-story home built by M.B. Norman when he bought the farm north of Brushy in 1906. The present owners are in the process of restoring the home to its original appearance. I.W. Norman and his sister, Mrs. Wynette Norman Farley, are extensive landowners in the area.
A positive example of the affection still held for Norman's Crossing was evidenced July 4, 1981, when Norman descendants and friends held a reunion at the Norman home with approximately two hundred attendings.
- Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water, 1973. Williamson County Publishers, Georgetown, Texas. Page 415.
- History of Texas, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1893, Chicago. Page 359.
- IBID. Page 359.
- Recorded Deed, Williamson County, Texas-M.R. Kennedy to M.B. Norman, January 6, 1906.
- History of Texas, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1893, Chicago. Page 360.
- Recorded Deed, Williamson County, Vo. III, p. 247-249.
- History of Texas, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1893, Chicago. Page 359.
- IBID. Page 359.
- Recorded Deed, Williamson County, M.R. Kennedy To Agreement Affecting Land, December 12, 1894.
- Clara Steans Scarbrough, Land of Good Water, 1973, Williamson County Publishers, Georgetown, Texas. Pages 442.
- Olander, Segred, "History of Hutto Methodist Church," 1944.
Scarbrough, Clara Stearns, Land of Good Water, Georgetown, Texas, Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973.
The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, History of Texas, 1893.
Recorded Deeds and Abstract, Williamson County Courthouse, Georgetown, Texas. Interviews with Lorene Norman McKay, daughter of M.B. Norman.
Author's knowledge of the subject. (Norman descendant).
Olander, Segred, "History of Hutto Methodist Church", 1944.
History of Norman's Crossing Supplement
Historical Narrative by Frances Lee and Myreta Matthews
M.B.Norman came to Williamson County in 1873. He became a large landholder and ginner on Brushy Creek south of Hutto. His farm of 419 acres was part of the Wilson Coke Headright in the Hopkins League.  Mr. Norman was affiliated with the Democratic Party. He and his family were members of the Methodist Church of which he was a Stewart. He married Nettie Mayhall in 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Norman are buried in the Hutto City Cemetery. 
The records read:
M.B. Norman 1856 - 1921
Nettie Norman 1868 - 1958
WILLIS AVERY, SENIOR
Willis Avery, Sr. was living in Texas as early as 1832 and is listed in the Williamson County Census of 1850:
AVERY, Willis, 40 & Elzina, 37; farmer, $5300; Vincent
Avery,16, farmer, and 7 other children. 
Willis Avery was born in North Carolina October 17, 1809 and was  married in Missouri to Elzina Weeks.
"Induced to come to Texas by the offer of cheap lands from those colonizing the new country, in 1832 drove his team through and joined Austin's Colony. He is located in Bastrop County, on the Colorado River. He bought a tract of land of Wilbarger, a brother of the noted Indian fighter."
"When Texas called for volunteers, Mr. Avery responded and followed General Houston until the capture of Santa Anna. Later on, he joined the minutemen's ranks for service against the Indians and took part in many battles, the most noted of which was the Brushy Creek fight in Williamson County, near where Taylor now stands. In recognition of his service at San Jacinto, he was issued a Headright grant of land, located in Williamson County, and on this land, he lived the rest of his life. His death occurred on July 17, 1889."
One of his daughters, Lucinda married E.U. Kimbro, another early landholder in the Norman's Crossing Community.
Daniel Kimbro of South Carolina moved with his father to Tennessee  at an early age, locating in Bedford County, where he was reared. He was engaged in the mechanic trade and while there he married Mary Gilbert of Tennessee.
In 1836, via New Orleans, he came to San Augustine County, Texas, and in the spring of 1837, in company with several other families, John Glasscock and Taylor Smith being among the number, he located in the town of Bastrop. There he erected a shop for the purpose of making looms, spinning wheels, chairs wagons, etc, which was the first shop to be established in the town, and many of the articles made there are still to be found in the county. (1893)
Indians were then quite troublesome, and the settlers erected a fort on the banks of the river (Colorado).
Mr. Kimbro was in many expeditions against the Indians and was a member of the company who participated in the Mexican Wars and had many narrow escapes from death. In 1846, he located on the creek known as Brushy, then in Milam county now Williamson County, where his nearest neighbors were five or six miles distant. Milling was done in Austin or Bastrop, a distance of twenty-five miles. While there, Mr. Kimbro engaged in farming and mechanics trade. He made the famous Kimbro stirrup for saddles and was one of the most celebrated shots in the state. He died in 1882.
Listed in the Williamson County Census of 1850, the record reads: 
KIMBRO, Daniel, 40, & Mary,34, Wheelright, $300; Euclid Kimbro, 16, farmer, and 4 other children; Cynthia P.Gilbert.
Daniel Kimbro was a confederate Veteran, listed as Sgt. in Captain R.N. Calhoun's Company, 2nd Brigade. He is buried in the Kimbro Cemetery near Rice's Crossing - Norman's Crossing, also known as Avery/Kimbro/Stiba Cemetery. 
WILLIAM MC CUTCHEON
William McCutcheon was born in Davidson County, Tennessee, on December 25,  1812, and grew up on a farm. He went from Tennessee to Missouri at an early age and emigrated to Texas in 1832. About 1835, he married Elizabeth Jane Harrell of Missouri. He was a conspicuous figure in much of the Indian trouble and participated in the Battle of Brushy Creek and the Pecan Bayou fight. Mr. McCutcheon enlisted in Captain Bean's Company in Troy, Missouri, for service in the Black Hawk War. For a number of years, he was engaged in wagoning in Texas. His teams numbered 6 or 8 yokes of fine cattle. The trips he made to Houston for goods are almost countless. While he was teaming, his wife, with the help of their sons, managed the farm, and it is to her good management that the prosperity of her family was in part due. They own a fine farm on Brushy Creek and are in a position to spend their declining years in comfort.
Listed in Shiloh Cemetery, also known as McCutcheon Cemetery: 
William McCutcheon 12-25-1812 ...5-17-1900 CSA
Elizabeth Jane McCutcheon 1822 ...1903
"Jesse A. McCutcheon of Rice's Crossing, Williamson County, Texas was  born in Bastrop County, Texas, January 4, 1842. He was fairly well educated, and "Just before he reached his majority, he was engaged in teaching. The Civil War came on, and he enlisted in Colonel Crisp's Regiment and later went into Missouri State Service under General Shelby. At home on furlough, he joined a company for service on the Rio Grande. After the War, he was engaged in the stock business. With his father and brother, he drove herds to Kansas, Nebraska, and Wyoming; and followed the business with profit until 1870, when he went into farming on his 380-acre farm. He married Sue Noble in 1872.
Mr. McCutcheon was one of the trustees of the local school.
He is listed in the Shiloh/McCutcheon Cemetery :
J.A.McCutcheon 1842--1905 
Joseph T. McCutcheon, son of William McCutcheon and his wife Elizabeth, was born in Travis County, Texas January 4, 1847. 
During the Civil War, the family lived in Lampasas County, where Joseph, being the oldest son remaining at home, assumed management of his father's stock. This kept him away from home most of the time since Indians continue to steal stock, if not guarded. Stock roamed the prairie.
In 1867 he began the life of a trader, making successful drives over trails leading from Texas to the Western States in the years 1867, 1869, 1879, and 1871. In 1870 he made two drives, going with one herd from Lavaca County, Texas to Abilene, Kansas, and with another from Williamson County to Baxter Springs, Kansas. In 1871 he purchased a farm and engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1881 he again took up the trail for an older brother, driving a herd from Lavaca County first to Caldwell, Kansas, then to Newman Ranch on the Niobrara River in Nebraska, 5 miles from the Dakota line. On returning, he resumed farming and stock-raising until 1893, when he opened a hardware business in the town of Hutto, five miles northwest. He was a trustee in the school at Norman's Crossing. On December 1, 1869, he married Miss Annie C.Evans, daughter of W.T.Evans, a pioneer settler of the area.
Listed in the Shiloh/McCutcheon Cemetery nearby on Brushy Creeks 15
Joseph T. McCutcheon 1847---1932
Annie C. McCutcheon 1849---1930
- Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago, 1893, page 358
- Williamson County Cemeteries, W.C, H.C., 1978. Vol. II. page 211
- Scarbrough, Clara, Land of Good Water,1973, page 174
- Lewis Publishing Co., page 695
- Lewis Publishing CO. pages 285-286
- Land of Good Water, page 178
- Williamson County Cemeteries, V. II. page 371
- Lewis Publishing Co. pages 399-400
- Williamson County Cemeteries, V. II. page 345
- Lewis Pub. Co., pages 396-397
- Opus Cit. Cemeteries page 346
- Lewis Pub. Co. page 396
- Lewis Pub. Co. pages 487 - 488
- Wmson Co. Cemeteries, V.II, page 346
Researched and compiled by
Kimbro Family Cemetery
Before and after refurnishing to the cemetery.
From 79 between Hutto and Taylor turn south on FM-3349 (Frame Switch Road). Drive until you see the Kimbro Historical Sign on the right side of the road. The small fenced the cemetery is in the field to the west and readily visible from the road. If you dead end on FM-1660 you have gone too far.
This small family cemetery contains the graves of members of a pioneer Williamson County family. Named for Daniel Kimbro, who was buried here in 1882, the plot remained in family ownership for over one hundred years.
Daniel Kimbro arrived in the Republic of Texas in 1836, the year independence from Mexico was declared. Settling first in San Augustine on the Sabine River, he later moved to Bastrop, where he operated a shop dealing in looms, spinning wheels, chairs, and wagons. He moved to this area in 1846, and lived in a tent on the banks of Brushy Creek. One of the signers of the petition to create Williamson County, he played an active part in the area's early development. He and his wife, Mary Polly (Gilbert) Kimbro, had six children, some of whom are buried here. Though no headstone has been found for her, it is believed that Mary Polly Kimbro is also interred here with her family.
For some time in the 1950s, the land surrounding the graves was used for farming, and many of the stones were damaged or removed. Some may have been plowed under when the land was cultivated. This cemetery stands as a reminder of Williamson County's past.
Historical Narrative by Roy H. Bland,
On January 9, 1871, Daniel Kimbro joined with E.B. Turner to sell their equal interests in the tract of land upon which the Kimbro Family Cemetery now sits to Daniel's oldest son, Euclid Union Kimbro. (1) There was not then nor have there been since in subsequent recorded transfers of the land any reservation of a cemetery plot lying thereon. However, it is considered probable that at that time, the nucleolus of the cemetery existed near the old site, which was to become Miss Kate Kimbro's rural domicile some years later. It is believed that the remains of an unnamed infant of Daniel and his wife could have already have been buried there , as well as the remains of some family slaves .
The said property and cemetery site passed by descent and deed to E.U. Kimbro's wife, Lucinda, and his children until December 11, 1885, when the widow joined by the other children & spouses, granted by a Partition Deed the "south side" of the said tract (139.25 ac.) to E.U.'s daughter, Kate, a feme sole.  By that date, Daniel had also been interred there, his grave marked by a large limestone head marker. The whole marker, including the inscription portion being observed there and duly recorded during a survey made by a researcher for the Williamson Co. Historical Commission during the 1960s.  It should be noted that by then, the cemetery had already been disturbed, was weed overgrown, and probably the limestone inscription was not fully legible. The first date (birth) was therefore inaccurately recorded as 1838, though the death date is correct, 1882. More likely birth date is 1808, which would have made him 24 at the birth of his first son, who accompanied him to Texas. Though there is no hard evidence of the fact, it is reasonable to assume that Daniel's wife, Mary Polly nee'Gilbert Kimbro, who predeceased him in 1851 , was also buried at this site. Her Limestone marker being lost or not readily evident at the time of the first research. Again though no hard physical evidence exists, family relatives state that the infant son of G.M. Kuykendall and Josephine nee' Kimbro Kuykendall was also buried there. His name was Eddie Kuykendall, and he died on Dec. 28, 1885.
Until sometime in the 1950s, Miss Kate Kimbro, assisted by others,  Mr. Henry Pumphrey Being one (11), maintained the cemetery followed in turn by Mrs. Bernice Gates, a granddaughter of E.U. Kimbro, from Houston.
However, despite their efforts and the protests of other relatives, for a period of probably over a decade, field laborers desecrated the burial site while working the crops planted around it. Thus many of the stones and small markers were broken, plowed under, or carried off. A couple of years ago, when Mr. Dan Cervenka, one of the current owners, and this author, Roy H. Bland, Jr., joined in a limited restoration and preservation venture for the site. By this time, all that remained was the disassembled granite centopath markers of E.0 & his wife Lucinda Avery Kimbro, dated 11/20/33 to 8/6/95 & 1839 to 5/14/97 respectfully and the white marble headstone of their young son, Edwin T. Kimbro, 3/27/68 to 3/21/83. There are also two rectangular limestone bases for headstones. The largest of these being hand tooled and scored in a decorative manner. It is presumed that these were for Daniel Kimbro and his wife since, according to E.U. Kimbro's biographical sketch , other adults in the family had either married outside the family or moved away by 1893 except Miss Kate, who also moved away later. Currently, the inscribed markers have been propped upright, the site cleaned & covered, with crushed stone and a fenced enclosure with gate erected. Mr. Dan Cervenka uses chemical weed control at the site as needed. A historical sketch of the subject Kimbro family, its activities and contributions to the State, and the area's development and history follows.
Daniel Kimbro's parents were natives of South Carolina and Ohio, respectively.
The paternal father of his father and his mother's grandfather both fought in the 1776 War of Independence.  At the age of four, Daniel moved from So. Carolina with his father to Tennessee, where he was reared, and where he was to marry Mary Polly Gilbert. While there, he engaged in the mechanic's trade. In 1836, Texas' Independence year, he came via New Orleans to San Augustine Co. man along the Sabine River. After about a year there, he took his, then four years old, son, Euclid Union, down to settle in the town of Bastrop in Central Texas. He made a move there with other pioneering families, among who were John Glasscock and Taylor Smith, who later lent their surnames to Texas sites. In Bastrop, he erected its first shop, in which he made looms, spinning wheels, chairs, wagons &, etc. The town built a fort for protection against the Indians, and Daniel went on many expeditions against the enemy.
In 1846 he moved to an area near Taylor on the Brushy Creek, previously settled by the Averys. The community of Avery later became known as Roman's Crossing.  An early school in the area bore the Kimbro name until it later became Walnut Springs and was incorporated into the Hutto I.S.D. 
Initially, he stayed in a pole and deer hide tent along the banks of the Brushy Creek where he trapped and hunted deer; He used the deer hides to make clothing and harnesses, selling the surplus production to retail merchants of Austin. Later he was engaged in farming and resumed his mechanic's trade. Daniel also resumed his woodworking, becoming quite noted for his version of saddle stirrups and ox yokes. He was considered one of the best shots with a rifle in the state. Daniel served in the Mexican War, rising from Sergeant to 2nd Lieutenant in Capt. Calhoun's Co., 2nd Brigade.
Being one of the first settlers in the area, he participated in the areas development.
He was one of the joint signers of the petition to create a new County out of a portion of what was then Milam County. The Bill creating Williamson County was signed by Gov. George T. Wood on March 13, 1848.  Shortly after the formation of the County, Daniel served on its first Grand Jury for the District Court to hear Cause 1, a case to try title against Mr. Rice of Blue Point Crossing. (later renamed Rices Crossing) . His death occurred at his home along the Brushy Creek in 1852, his wife having predeceased him in 1851.
Daniel Kimbro and his wife had six children: an unnamed infant; Garett and Verney, both of whom reached maturity, dying before 1893; Nethera, wife of John Price of Austin; C.M. of Arkansas; and Euclid Union of Williamson Co. 
By the age of 10, E.U. Kimbro probably already had encounters with the Indians during their raids around Bastrop and had learned to use a gun to defend himself against both this danger and the roaming wild animals.
At the age of 18, while still living with his parents on the Brushy, he undertook the job of hauling lumber to help build Texas's second Capital building at the new site, Austin. At 21 years and after the death of his mother, he became engaged in raising cattle and horses. In 1857, at the age of 25, he married Lucinda Avery, the daughter of  Willis and Elzana Weeks Avery. (Willis, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto, was honored in 1936 by reburial, together with his wife, in the State Cemetery in Austin.)  In 1861 at the age of 28, he moved near where Taylor now stands. The following year he joined Col. Easily Company and served with the Calvary regiment of Col. W.L. Mann on Galveston island during the Civil War. He surrendered there at Warts end and returned home to find about half of his livestock gone.
Mr. & Mrs. E.U. Kimbro had five children: Edwin T. a son dead at 15 years; Kate, a feme sole, who after residing in Taylor moved to Austin, dying there; Haydee Fridonia, wife of R. Beal Pumphrey; Josephine, wife of G.M. Kuykendall also of Taylor and another Old Trail Driver as was Pumphrey; H.T. Kimbro, a charter officer of the City National Bank of (2*. Taylor, who later moved to Lubbock, Texas, where he was instrumental in locating the site of Texas Tech College there and served on its first Board of Directors. Active politically, he was also appointed to two Administrative Executive positions in the State Government in Austin.  He died in Lubbock but is buried with his wife, Harriet Hoke, in Taylor.
For a brief time E.U. Kimbro moved to Austin then to Georgetown but eventually returned to Taylor. Making his hoe on the corner of what is now Kimbro and Cecelia streets.
There the proud owner of three farms with 450 acres in cultivation died on August 6, 1895. His wife followed him in death on May 14, 1897, to be buried with her husband, young son, and other ancestors in the family cemetery seven miles South of Taylor near the Brushy Creek almost at the junction of Farm Rd. 32i9 (Frame Switch Rd.) off highway 79 and Farm Road 1660, which links Rice's Crossing with Norman's Crossing, running East & West.