Kenney's Fort Historical Marker
Kenney's Fort Historical Marker Text
1/2 mile South to the site of Kenney's Fort First settlement marker in Williamson County. Erected as a home by Dr. Thomas Kenney and Joseph Barnhart in the spring of 1839. Served as a place of defense during Indian raids. Rendezvous of the Santa Fe Expedition, 1841. Here the archives of the Republic of Texas en route to Washington-on-the-Brazos were captured on December 31, 1842, and returned to Austin.
note Historical Marker for
Double File Trail
There are 2 markers one in Georgetown and one here in Round rock
Historical Marker text
Laid out about 1828 by Delaware Indians, "The Double File Trail" got its name because two horsemen could ride it side by side. The Delawares carved this trace migrating ahead of expanding white settlements. They moved from what they called "the Redlands" in East Texas to Mexico near present Nuevo Laredo. Of the 200 to 250 families reported in East Texas in the 1820s, only about 150 remained after the move. Early sites in Williamson County were settled where this trail crossed waterways. Texas Rangers and the Santa Fe Expedition also traveled the track. (1978)
Dr. Thomas Kenney came to Brushy Creek in 1839 and built a fort. This was the first permanent settlement in what would become Williamson County nine years later. Kenney was befriended by the Native Americans but was later killed by them in 1844.
Also read about the building of the fort in this Narrative Injun Fighting In Early Williamson County History from the "Tales of Early Days in Texas" by Capt. F. S. Wade -- Compiled by Cortis Lawrence April 1942