Hutto Cemetery Historical Marker Dedication Ceremony
Saturday, November 4, 2006
Hutto, TX 78834
Greetings from Hutto Cemetery Association ....... Clarice Hanstrom
Williamson Country Historical Commission........... George Meyer
U.S. Flag Presentation-Woodman's of World Insurance .. Kelly Herring
Posting of the Colors....................................... Boy Scouts of America
Pledge of Allegiance ..........................................
Boy Scouts & Cub Scouts -- Gerrott Abernethy - Alex Herring - Trey Kleppe
Ian McHugh - Morgan McHugh & Cub Scouts from Pack 176
Amazing Grace ................................... Jeremy Morgan, Bagpipes
Introduction of Distinguished Guests .................. Jack M. Saul, II
Brief History of Hutto Cemetery ..................... Sue Holmstrom
Unveiling Historical Marker ... Charles Hanstrom — Ed Morgan
Reading of Text on Historical Marker ............... Marilyn Morgan
Hutto Cemetery Historical Marker Inscription
T.A. Boatright buried a family child and her husband, E.B., here in the late 1880s when the site was known as Elmwood cemetery. In 1889, she bought land here from C.P and Julia's crews. Several graves already existed in addition to those of her family, and many were unmarked. Today, the earliest marked grave is that of Joseph Metcalfe (d. 1887).
Over time, the property exchanged hands from the Boatright's to the Haygood's. Birdie Haygood badger sold the property in 1950 to the newly formed Hutto cemetery association, and the cemetery name changed to reflect its association to the community. Records indicate that within the cemetery's bounds are two lots once reserved for paupers, as well as one lot associated with the Swedish church that evolved into Hutto's first Methodist church.
The community's history is evident in the cemetery, with text on grave markers signifying settlers who came from other states or countries, area residents. Belonged to fraternal organizations or who served in the military as early as the civil war, and children whose brief lives also contributed to the local history.
HISTORIC TEXAS CEMETERY - 2004
Hutto Cemetery - Hutto, Williamson County, Texas Property History Narrative by Betty Sue Blackman Holmstrom
The earliest deed to the land that would include the Hutto Cemetery is translated by Davis V. Whitting from the original Spanish document:
Citizen Miguel Arciniega, a commissioner, was appointed by the executive of the State to distribute and give possession of the land and issued patents.
Jacob Canner, November 20, 1827, was received as a colonist under the colonization entered into between Stephen F. Austin, the contractor, and the Executive of Coahuila and Texas, recorded in the register.  The grant conferred Jacob Canner in the full and proportional possession of one league of land which had been surveyed by Bartlett Sims,  located on the waters of the creek called Wilbarger's Creek. 
The land changed hands many times in the following years.
On July 8, 1889, C. P. Crews and his wife Julia F. Crews filed a warranty deed transferring the property to Mrs. T. A. Boatright (1832-1915).  The deed for the burial ground, originally named Elmwood Cemetery, describes two tracts of land about one mile south of Hutto:
First Tract: Part of W. J. Brown Survey 10.32 acres.
Second Tract: W. F. Evans Survey patented 3/4 of an acre. Following written under Elmwood Cemetery plat set apart for the purpose of burial grounds. Surveyed into lots and fractions from 1 to 48 inclusive the day of September, A. D. 1889. 
Two brittle papers show maps of Elmwood Cemetery covering Section A, the other covering Sections A and C, and an old survey map is also recorded. 
On June 1, 1950, a warranty deed was recorded from Birdie I. Badger to the Hutto Cemetery Association, a corporation duly chartered under the law of the State of Texas, County Williamson, Texas, the sum of $225.00, cash in hand. This deed lots A & C and B & D for burial purposes.  On September 21, 1956, August and Clara Decker sold to the Hutto Cemetery Association 93/100 of an acre for $150.00, an addition extending along the west side of the cemetery, 18 feet by 511.5 feet. 
Hutto Cemetery History
Our peaceful cemetery has one thousand twenty graves from earlier than 1887 to March 31, 2004. This number includes graves of five infants, twenty-nine adults, and three unknown older graves shown on cemetery lot records but with no tombstones. Different varieties of headstones include those made by hand from cement, wood, and brick, as well as business-produced. The first recorded grave by the marker is that of Joseph Metcalfe, born in Shelby County, Kentucky on May 20, 1814, and died on January 18, 1887.9 The second oldest marked grave is for Willie Boatright, born September 21, 1886, died July 2, 1887.1  Fifty-nine burials are recorded prior to 1900.  The proud settlers often engraved where they had come from, including Tennessee, Missouri, Ohio, Kentucky, Wales, Denmark, Scotland, and Sweden. One stone is engraved entirely in Swedish. 
Beautiful tombstones express loss, especially for children through the use of lambs and doves,  and writings such as "Budded on Earth, and in heaven."
Adult stones show crosses, bibles, mansions, opened gates to heaven, a hand pointing to a crown (some with stars), hand in hand, three anchors, and on C. W. Hutto's marker, the world with big letters "The Maccabee." One stone is inscribed, "Our loss is heaven's gain." 
Recent stones show drawings such as parachutes, cowboys, guitar, bat, ball and glove, golf clubs, rooster, hand signal, eighteen-wheeler truck, and the deceased's own picture.
Headstones indicate three reverends, six doctors, two judges, six emblems of Masonic lodge, three Eastern Star, six Woodmen of the World, sixty-five veterans faithful to serve their country, and many more known veterans without military service engraved on their markers.  Records also indicate a Swedish Methodist Church lot and two pauper lots.
One special stone is a three-year-old child named George Theodore Roosevelt Johnson, named for the U. S. President.
 Two stones show J. B. Ross, father, and Lovina Ross, mother of G. P. (Grant) Ross.  Grant Ross had a house and orchard in town and a 40-acre sharecropping parcel for cotton. He later performed as a tight rope walker and clown with Ringling Brothers Circus. A resident recalls seeing his autograph book signed with dates 1882 through 1895. In 1930 Grant Ross moved to Florida.
Founders of the town of Hutto and other early residents buried at Hutto Cemetery include W. H. Farley, the first International & Great Northern Railroad agent who arrived in 1877.
Dr. J. C. Flinn, (son of J. F. Flinn), the first doctor in Hutto, came in 1882. In 1886 a cyclone flattened the town of Hutto, and two rows of brick buildings were rebuilt on the north side of the railroad tracks. J. Sam Monday, who opened the first saloon, came in 1892. John Busch, an owner of a mercantile, grocery, and millinery, arrived the following year. L. E. Bostick and his wife Lizzie Henley Bostick owned a funeral parlor, furnishing a two-horse drawn wagon, coffin, and double-filed procession walking behind it to the deceased's final resting place. Lizzie's brother and sister, Will and Riley Henley, sold Good Luck potato chips, mixed sodas (bottled and sold as soft drinks), raspas (snow cones), an outdoor theater and restaurant. August Hammer had a group of Swedes meets in his home to establish the Hutto Methodist Church. In 1910 C. E. Hanstrom dug the first water well that still produces water for the city of Hutto. Hanstrom also owned an electric power plant for homes and cotton gins, an ice factory, a cotton gin, and many more inventions. Early 1900s residents included Soren, Anders, and Martin Christensen, blacksmithing, horseshoeing and woodworks, and Bill McCutcheon, a night watchman who lit night lamps and checked the locks of every building. Mid-20th century residents buried at Hutto Cemetery include Bennie and Emma (Ninky) Hutto, owners of Hutto Variety Store, and many more business owners, cattlemen, farmers, ginners, and teachers who paved the way for the future success of the town. 
Local persons are ground caretakers for the cemetery and keep grass manicures with riding mowers, weed-eaters, and weed killers around the stones.
In earlier days, caretakers used a push mower and a hoe. Extra mowing days occur before Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day, and Father's Day. Landscape features include several old trees, including elm, pecan, cedar, catalpa, and recent crepe myrtle bushes that bloom profusely.
The Hutto Cemetery Association has a board of nine directors as of 2003.
The annual meeting is always the first Sunday in June at the Hutto United Methodist Church Fellowship Hall, and cards are mailed to lot owners to attend. Perpetual care was started in 1978, and memorials are sincerely appreciated—the minute book for 1998 records that no curbing will be allowed for mowing purposes. Funeral homes immediately place a stake with names and dates before the headstone will be placed. Paid spaces are available to the community.
Researched by Betty Sue Blackman Holmstrom, March 31, 2004
- Grant recorded vol. 16, p. 617, Williamson County deed records, November 18, 1875, abstract title No. 3.
- Williamson County deed records vol. 16, p. 617, title No.
- Wilbarger's Creek is now Brushy Creek. Williamson County deed records vol. 49, p. 189, No. 50. Mrs. Boatright (Nov. 30, 1832 — Jul. 11, 1915) is buried in Section A, Lot 15 of Hutto Cemetery.
- Williamson County deed records vol. 50, p. 41, No. 53.
- See attached copy of the map, Section A, No. 52, and map Section A & C, No. 56.
- Williamson County warranty deed No. 5158, recorded vol. 361, p. 427.
- Williamson County warranty deed No. 7759.
- Section A Lot 17, with the inscription "Remember friends, as you pass by, that all mankind are born to die. Then let your cares on Christ be cast, that you may dwell with Him at last."
- Section A, Lot 28, broken stone. Willie's twin Frank is buried adjacent and has no stone.
- See attached list.
- See attached lists.
- One attached list.
- See attached list.
- See attached list.
- Section C, Lot 6. Lamb lying down beside a tree stump.
- Section A, Lot 42. J. B. Ross died in 1920, 85 years old, Lovina Ross died in 1893, 49 years old.
- See attached list.