Gravis was a farming community on Dry Berry Creek some five miles southwest of Jarrell in northwestern Williamson County. The community had a post office, blacksmith shop, store, and school at the end of the 1800s. When the post office opened there in 1895, two names were proposed for the community: CrossRoads or Wyatt's Ville (the latter after Collin Dennis Wyatt, the local saddle and harness maker, storekeeper, and first postmaster). The postal officials rejected these names, and the post office and community were named for John A. Gravis, the original land grantee. The Gravis post office closed in 1904. By 1948 Gravis was not shown on the county highway map.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
View from Cobb Creek Road. Area overgrown, unkempt, and cattle grazed. Possible broken stones from shredding. Possible unknown gravesites since several that were discovered were completely buried.
Added by: Doug Macnair