Chisholm Trial Crossing Park Round Rock, Texas


Round Rock has long been famous for its rich heritage as generation upon generation has passed down its lore for the area. Tales of conflict, fast draws and outlaws have colored the history, but nothing may be more important to the lore and lure of Texas than the cattle drives and the importance the cattle industry has to this day.

In the pioneer days of yesterday, a settlement was springing up along the Brushy Creek by a round rock, where pioneers had heard there was a low water crossing. This crossing would become one of the most famous markers along the Chisholm Trail. Jesse Chisholm led his herds along this trail from deep in the south of Texas towards Hays, Kansas, which was fast becoming the hub of a burgeoning cattle industry, each time passing through the growing settlement of Round Rock.

Commemorating the spirit of the Chisholm Trail, this park was dedicated September 4, 2003 by the City of Round Rock, the Round Rock Chamber of Commerce and by the community to all of those who have traveled this path.

Marker Text

"The Pioneer Woman" - - Sculpture by Jim Thomas

Hattie Cluck and her Williamson County family were among the first to travel the Chisholm Trail to cattle markets in Kansas. In the spring of 1871, a pregnant Hattie; her husband, George; and three children, Allie, Emmett and Harriet, left for the long Journey to Abilene, Kansas making Hattie the first woman to travel The Chisholm Trail. The Cluck family reached Kansas in the fall, where their fourth child, Euell, was born'. The following spring, the Cluck family returned to Williamson County and settled near Running Brushy (later known as Brushy Creek), where Hattie served as Postmaster from 1874-1882. Hattie died in 1938° and is buried on the family farm in Cedar Park.

Sissy Peckham, served' as the model for the sculpture, donated by Sissy and Bill Peckham of Round' Rock.

"The Pioneer Boy" - - Sculpture by Jim Thomas
As a five-year old boy, Emmett Cluck went up the Chisholm Trail with the rest of his family. Emmett is credited with naming Cedar Park and served as Cedar Park Postmaster from 1892-1929. Emmett died in 1932 and is buried on the family farm in Cedar Park.

Riley Koughan, served as the model for the sculpture, donated by Ruth Koughan, Riley Koughan's grandmother.

Marker Text


In 1885, Oscar Edward Quick came to Round Rock from Jonkoping, Sweden. Oscar and his siblings were sponsored by the Nelson/Avery family. In 1891, his cattle brand "OQ" was registered with Williamson County. In 1892, he arranged for his parents and future bride, Carolina Erikson, to join him here. In 1894, they purchased land east of Round Rock from George W. Glasscock, an officer in the Texas War of Independence, to begin ranching and farming. They helped to build the Palm Valley Lutheran Church, the red-brick Gothic Revival building above Brushy Creek.

The Quick family history is typical of the Texas Swedish immigrant families. The children helped with the animals and crops while earning their education. Daughters Signe and Agnes attended Trinity College, which was then located on Main Street in Round Rock. Agnes was one of the first teachers in the one-room Stony Point School. Together they taught for over 100 years.

Sons Eugene and Clarence, graduates of the University of Texas and owners of Quick Pharmacy on Main Street, were both pharmacists for over 100 years. In recognition Of his years of community service, Gene was honored as a "Living Legend of Round Rock." Gene's wife, Marjorie Beaumont from Hearne, Texas, taught music to many young people of the area.

Longhorn sculpture by Jim Thomas, dedicated by the Quick Family

Marker Text

"Goin' To Water" - - Sculpture by Jim Thomas
To Round Rock, From Many Places They Came

Parents Maria de Lourdes Torres and Pablo Pachicano Torres were born in Central Texas from families who left Mexico at the beginning of that country's Revolution-of 1910 --a violent upheaval that threatened family lives and agricultural property...

On separate journeys, Maria's and Pablo's parents emigrated to Texas. Initially, the Reyes grandparents settled near San Antonio and the Torres ones chose the Thrall area – each family farmed and raised livestock... As an adult, Pablo left the farm life to work for the Missouri Pacific Railroad, and in the 1930s met and married Maria. Some years later he came as a railroad Section Foreman to work and rear his family in Round Rock...

As a symbolic link to their parents' agricultural background in Texas and to their ancestors' frontier life of the "old country" -- and especially as a metaphorical bridge to Round Rock's cattle trail saga of the 1880s –

Edward Reyes Torres, Mary Zordan Torres and Gloria Torres Zamarripa, commissioned this longhorn sculpture with its Torres Reyes registered brand...

"The Bell Steer" - - Sculpture by Jim Thomas

Cattle herds were frequently led by a dominant lead steer wearing a bell that helped the cattle and the cowboys locate the head of the herd in the darkness and bad weather. Good lead steers were highly prized on cattle drives and were sometimes trailed back to Texas to lead the following year's trail drive. The "Bell Steer" sculpture, with its bell, wears the swallow-tail and split-ear tags sometimes used as trail brands on Chisholm Trail cattle drives. The sculptor also added the Williamson County ,registered "WP'" brand of Bill and "Sissy" Peckham.

The "Bell Steer" was donated by
Dell Computer of Round Rock,

GPS Coordinates:
Latitude: 30.511936, Longitude: -97.689464