Main St. at Myrtle Marker Text:
Erected in 1871, this structure of hand-cut native limestone is perhaps the oldest still standing in Liberty Hill. it was built by S.P. Stubblefield (1824-1902), a native of Alabama and veteran of the Mexican War (1846-48), and owned by his family until 1907. The lower floor has housed various stores and businesses, while the upper floor was often used as living quarters. In 1973 the building was bought and restored by sculptor Mel Fowler. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976
Latitude: 30.6644 Longitude: -97.9223
Address: 1000 Loop 332
S.P. Stubblefield bio
S.P. Stubblefield, was a farmer of Williamson County, is a son of and Agnes (Ethridge) Stubblefield, of Welsh descent. The father was born and raised in Oglethorpe County, Georgia, was left an orphan at an early age, after which he lived with Stephen Potts. In young manhood, he went to Dallas County, Alabama, where he met and married the mother of our subject in 1815. The latter died in 1826, and the father afterward married a Miss Smith, and they then came to Texas, locating near Gaines Landing, on the Sabine River. A few months afterward, they went east, stopping in Mississippi, intending to return to Alabama, but while there met old acquaintances on the road in Yazoo County and with others located claims in the County. Mr. Stubblefield died there in 1858. He was one of the most prominent planters in Mississippi, was a Whig in his political views, a Presbyterian in faith, and an of wide influence. By his first marriage he had six children, viz. deceased; Marlin, of Yazoo County, Mississippi; Henry, a farmer of Yazoo County; Francis A. deceased, Stephen P., the subject of this sketch, and David, of Yazoo County, Mississippi.
To the last union were born nine children - John, deceased, Sarah, wife of R.H. Griffin, of Colorado, Texas; Calvin who died in the army; Simon, a resident of the old homestead in Yazoo County, Allen; deceased, Iona, wife of Mr.: Axon, and Nary of Yazoo County. The mother of these children died in 1875.
S.P. Stubblefield was born in Dallas County, Alabama, on August 13, 1824, and reared to manhood in Yazoo County Miss. In June 1846, he enlisted in the army for service in the Mexican War, entering Company A, Jeff Davis' Regiment. He participated in the battles of Monterey and Buena Vista and was wounded in his right hand & the last-named battle, and now draws a pension. His brother Henry was also wounded in the same engagement.
Mr. Stubblefield lived in Yazoo County Miss. from 1831 to 1852, during the eleven years was engaged as an overseer on a large plantation along the Mississippi river.
In 1863 he was obliged to refugee to Columbia County, Arkansas, and in 1870 came to Liberty Hill, Texas.
After locating here, he followed the mercantile business until 1881, and in 1883 moved to his present farm of 170 acres located on the north fork of the San Gabriel River, sixteen miles west of Georgetown. Ninety acres of the farm is under a fine state of cultivation, and the remainder is in timberland. He also had a good gin on the place. In his political relations, Mr. Stubblefield is affiliated with the Democratic Party; socially, he is a Master Mason, a member of Liberty Hill Lodge No. 432, and is a member of the Methodist Church.
In 1850 our subject was united in marriage to Eliza Russell; in Yazoo County Mississippi; she died in the same year he married Sarah Ann Russell, a sister of his first wife, and they had eleven children, seven now living ---- Clayton, living with his father, Marlin of Williamson County, Fannie Amanda, wife of George Lincecum, also of this county, Zelma, wife of W.G. Griffith, of Williamson County, W.( my wife's father) Oscar of Yazoo County, Miss., Elizabeth, wife of L. C. Lincecum of Williamson County, and Sudie, at home.
also view Stubblefield Building History PDF
also view Stubblefield Building History Article PDF
a special thanks to the Taylor Daily Press 1972 and Shirley Schlinke for this slice of history