A special thanks the Round Rock Leader for letting the us post these wonderful articles.
The Time Capsules stories are prepared by
Bob Brinkman - Texas Historical Commission
Franciscan priest Isidro de Espinosa of the St. Denis – Ramon expedition crosses Brushy Creek and names it Arroyo de las Benitas Animas (Creek of the Blessed Souls), a name it kept until the 1830s.
The settlement on Brushy Creek receives a post office of the same name. Thomas Oatts, postmaster, runs the mail out of his rock store and house (still standing in Old Town). In 1854 the postal name is changed to Round Rock.
William K. Foster starts the newspaper Round Rock Headlight, absorbing the earlier Round Rock Reflector.
Round Rock Hook and Ladder Company organized; a forerunner of the modern fire department.
The artesian well is completed at Main and Mays, with pump and gazebo.
Central Texas experiences a partial solar eclipse, while parts of South Texas are treated to a total eclipse.
Round Rock High School holds graduation exercises, with five boys and five girls in the senior class.
Wallace Rucker opens the Rock Theatre downtown, and the Leader publishes a special blue paper edition to celebrate its grand opening. It is the first air-conditioned building in town. On the first weekend the movies are “Trade Winds” with Fredric March and Joan Bennett, and “Stagecoach” with John Wayne and Claire Trevor. The Rock Theatre operated until 1969.
The Texas Highway Department starts work on FM 620, leading from Round Rock to the Highland Lakes. It is the first farm-to-market road in the area.
The Round Rock High School Class of ’59 graduates, with Mary Robertson valedictorian and Mildred Toungate salutatorian. In fact, the top 10 academic spots (out of a class of 47) are claimed by girls.