Historical Marker Georgetown, Texas
February 24, 2007
1:00 P. M.
Welcome – Chris Dyer
Opening Comments – Bob Brinkman
Pledges to American & Texas Flags –
Scout Troop 151
Pledge of allegiance to the Texas flag: “Honor the Texas
I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas
Introduction of Dignitaries & Guests
A Word from the
John Carter, 31st District of Texas
Farmers State Bank
Vice Chair, Williamson County
Marker Unveiling –Ed M. Lansford
Address: 716 S Austin Ave
On March 13, 1848, the
In May 1848, these men met under the shade of a great oak tree south of the junction of the
As they were deliberating, they were joined by George Washington Glasscock, Sr. Upon learning the purpose of the meeting, Glasscock proposed that the county seat should be where they were meeting. The land under their feet belonged to Thomas Huling. Huling had bought the land from Clement Stubblefield on November 2, 1839. (2) Stubblefield had acquired 1476 acres, 1/3 of a league, as his headright. Huling had made Glasscock his agent, and both men would benefit financially if the county seat was in the middle of their holdings. (3) One really can't believe that Glasscock just happened by accident. Supposedly, Glasscock made a proposition to the commissioners that if they accepted the site as the county seat and named it Georgetown, that Glasscock and Huling would donate 173 acres for the new county seat. The San Gabriel River ends at that point, by making a line due west and another due east from the oak tree, the river would more or less form the northern and western legs of the town boundaries. The site where the tree stood is at the corner of Church and Ninth streets in present-day Georgetown. Glasscock was asked
There were no structures on the townsite
Lots were to be sold to raise funds to build public buildings, such as a courthouse. The first courthouse was a 16' x 16' log structure on the public square on the Main Street side. The town was laid out in a grid pattern with an open public square or courthouse square surrounded by business lots. Lots were sold over a period of
We were not able to trace back to the point where and when the Bank lot was first purchased from the county, but
On March 31, 1851, Samuel Alexander purchased Lot 5 on the old map, and Block 41, Lot 4 on the new map. The David Love store has been on that lot for over 125 years. The Bank's location was Block 5, north half of Lot 1 on the old map, and Block 41, north half of Lot 8 on the
On November 14, 1871, J. H. Turner bought half-interest in the Bank lot for $13.40 in gold.5 On January 16, 1872
Sometime after Turner bought the property in 1875 and before 1882, he erected a 20 foot wide by 50-foot deep structure facing on Bushy
The U. S. Census reports of 1850, 1860, and 1870 show slow
The economy depended mostly on subsistence agriculture. Development was hampered by the Civil War and the Reconstruction period that followed. Georgetown and Round Rock had reputations of being dangerous places to travel through. Outlaws roamed the countryside. Sam Bass and John Wesley Hardin were two of the most famous troublemakers. According to the Census of 1870, there were 320 persons living in this frontier town. The doldrums would soon be overdue to three things. First, the North
When limestone became widely available as a building material, the lot to the south of Turner's was developed by J. H. Booth. Booth built a 35' by 125' two-story stone structure that housed a mercantile business on the first floor. They sold dry goods, hats, boots, saddles, and notions. The second floor housed the offices and meeting hall of the International Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.). The second floor was reached by
In 1889 Turner's neighbor to the north built a 26' by 110' two-story limestone structure
According to the 1889 Sanborn map, the store sold general merchandise. The lot was 120' deep, which resulted in a ten-foot alley. Turner's property still had the bar building in July 1889, but the map indicated that the lot was to be built out and have a metal roof. Turner took advantage of his neighbor's side, stone walls, and fit roof coffers into them at the two-story level. The building on the south was higher than the building to the north by about five feet. There
The 1890 Sanborn map shows an interior wall dividing the building down the middle
The restaurant's kitchen was located in the southwest corner of the alley area. In April 1888, Turner put a lien on his property as security for a $250
Georgetown and Williamson County were growing rapidly during
The lots around the square were filling in with limestone housed businesses. The town lots were being occupied by grander houses encircled by white picket fences. A new Second Empire style courthouse replaced the county's third courthouse that was fast deteriorating. Architects Jasper Newton Preston and Frederick Ruffini of Austin drew up
The jail was built on the northeast corner of
A public privy stood on the lawn. In 1872 the commissioner's court ruled that the privy must
Turner put up a
Privies continued in use
On May 26, 1902, J. H. Turner sold his property to A. S. Fisher for the sum of $3,340. (12) Fisher had been in Georgetown since 1871. Fisher was a lawyer in Georgetown in the offices of Fisher and Towns. As a Captain, he led a unit of men from Georgetown during the Spanish-American War. In 1901 he associated himself with Governor James Hogg and others in the Spindletop Oil Field. Judge Fisher had offices
On November 1, 1902, Thomas P. Hughes purchased the property from
Hughes assumed the two notes that J. H. Turner held when he sold the property to Fisher in May of 1902. Hughes gave Fisher the balance of $2,660 in cash. Thomas Proctor Hughes was a well-known attorney who had come to Georgetown in
Near the turn of the century, several banks had been organized in Georgetown
One of these was a private bank, the Merchants and Farmers Bank, established in 1898. When established, the bank conducted business from the Moses Steele building at 800 Brushy Street. In 1905 the bank was one of the first three banks to receive a state charter. The business was then incorporated as the Farmers State Bank. The first stockholders' meeting was held on August 24, 1905. The same men were elected to the board: A. A. Booty, president, Jno. L. Booty, vice-president, W. L
According to the minutes of the Board of Directors of the Farmers State Bank, November 4, 1909, a discussion was held concerning
An interesting side note is that the Texaco Oil Company was started
It had its beginning when R. E. Brooks and others formed the Texas Fuel Company in 1901. In 1902 Texas Fuel Company became the Texas Company. A. A. Booty, president of Fanners State Bank, was one of the original organizers. R. E. Brooks graduated from Southwestern University in 1883 and received his M. A. there in 1884. He studied law in the offices of Fisher
In May 1910 the officers of the bank were instructed to make and enter into a contract with W. C. Whitney to erect a bank building, not to exceed $9,200. J. W. Muller Manufacturing Company of Atlanta, Georgia, was chosen to supply furniture and fixtures. The front of the structure was to be removed, and be replaced by a more dignified one. The style chosen was Neoclassical, which befit the dignified nature of the new bank building. In 1909 Georgetown voters approved a $120,000 bond issue to build a new courthouse. The style was to be Neoclassical similar
Gregory Free of Gregory Free and Associates, Austin, gave an architectural description of the front of the building as it looked in 1997
Since the front of the bank building had changed very little since being built in 1912, the description is valid. The missing grates that are mentioned
As in its prototypes, the Farmers State Bank features two colossal, fluted Composite columns recessed between wide piers. In this instance, the "porch" is reduced to a shallow reveal, with the solid wall mass continuing behind the columns in the same plane as the entrance door. The piers are pierced with tall windows framed with a crossette architrave that springs from a heavy base and is surmounted by a crested shield. Each 1/1 double-hung window unit is divided horizontally by a transom bar and a solid panel below. Finishing the tops of the piers is a horizontal reeded band with a central modified triglyph. Held between the columns is the main entrance, the focus of the composition, with a wide single lite [sic] door flanked by sidelights and capped by a low broken-arched pediment applied to the door head. Above this, the rhythm of the door and sidelights is repeated with windows and carried to a splayed lintel with a central keystone. This arrangement makes for a monumental entrance, which originally flooded the tall volume of the interior space with light. Painted sheet metal is used for the door pediment and to cap the transom bars and related features. Originally, all window openings on the facade were covered by hinged iron grates wrought and welded in a classically geometric design. Some of these grates are still on the premises, though not in place. Otherwise, all window and door frames and trim are painted pine. The whole is capped by a [sic] denticulated entablature engraved with "THE FARMERS STATE BANK," and a low modillioned pediment applied to a solid, slightly stepped parapet. The tympanum is enriched by a central
It appears that the original two-story
The roof was re-framed with trusses at that time to allow for the series skylights [sic] to be installed down the center of the space. This created the
One assumes that
In 1910 the mosaic tile floors were
The coffer beams themselves are encased in a molded plaster cornice in a composition of egg and dart molding, consoles, and swags. At the sidewalls, each coffer beam was originally supported visually by a large console. The skylights were configured in two parts — the gable-roofed outer glazing, and the rectangular glazed panels in the same plane as the ceilings. Two of the former sets of panels can still be viewed from below, the others having been covered and/or removed
Originally the floor throughout the banking room and ancillary spaces consisted of a field of 1" white hexagonal bisque tiles, with a dark brick red snowflake motif set
The border is a classical
The walls, plastered to the ceiling, were originally covered in a white marble wainscot trimmed at the
Much of the wainscot remains intact, with
Since the building remained in use until
It was not until the mid-1970s when the building was used as county offices that the banking room was
Mr. Allen remained president while Tom Joseph was the owner. Tom Joseph also owned the Citizens Plaza Shopping Center and other Georgetown properties. The bank's name was changed to the Citizens State Bank. This bank closed the old building on June 9, 1962, and moved to 900 South Austin Avenue. They opened at that location on June 23, 1962. The Citizens State Bank sold the Farmers State Bank building to the Citizens Plaza Development Corporation in November 1962 for $4,450. The Citizens Plaza Development Corporation sold the building in February 1963 to Ben Newman for $5,000. Newman owned a clothing store next door to the north. (21)
Williamson County purchased the Farmers State Bank building from Newman
The building had remained empty since the bank moved out in June 1962. Beginning in 1967, the building housed offices of the Williamson County Superintendent and the Williamson and Burnet Opportunities, Inc. In February 1970 a stairway, partition, and ceiling were added in the rear of the structure to provide storage for county records. Late in 1975, the county commissioner’s court-ordered more renovation of the interior. The false ceiling was extended to the front of the building, and more office partitions
The Williamson County
Members of this museum board applied to several granting agencies but were not
The renovation was to be done in two phases
Phase I was to stabilize the
Before work could start on Phase
Sean Nash of the Archaeological and Cultural Sciences Group, Austin, conducted the investigation. Most of the artifacts uncovered were from the time when there was a saloon on the property. The front portion of the building was covered by the tile-cement floor, so the test pits had to be sunk in the rear portion of the building that
Phase II restoration of the Farmers State Bank Building was done by A. T. C., Contractors, Georgetown, Nathan Roppalo was on the onsite foreman and his brother James Roppalo handled office details, schedules, subcontractors, materials, etc. This firm restored the Palace Theater in Georgetown and many other structures in
The rubblestone wall in the back had extensive repointing. The five skylights were reopened and fitted with lights. The ceiling tiles were removed and the ceiling was painted. The molded plaster coffer beams were restored. All plaster elements in the ceiling were restored. Efforts were made to try to restore the interior to suggest a bank. The tile floor and the marble wainscot were restored using salvaged and new materials. The roof was reworked so that the water from the neighboring building flowed to the rear of the building. This took a great deal of pressure on the museum's gutters. The
A second floor was added to the rear of
An elevator was added at the rear of the building. It is in the same area where the kitchen
ODE TO THE
Hood Stately old building, praise to thee
Will be restored with work and
We'll clean again, be not afraid Our treasures stored within your vault
With fireproof walls that stand assault When all this ghastly
Where it will be
We will show you an interlude
Come to the door and
On ornate tiles cleaned up with pride See
With high necked shirts and wide cravat See
Of history, you won't
War things, peace
Then Grand Old Building you
When lights are on and all ablaze
Hazel Hood and her husband James were members of the Williamson
History compiled by George Meyer and Bob Brinkman, Williamson County Historical
Commission, December 23, 2005.
Barkley, Mary Starr. A History of Central Texas. Austin: Austin Printing Company, 1970.
Free, Gregory, Gregory Free, and Associates. Farmers State Bank: an Investment in Williamson County History, Structural Report. Austin, 1997.
Gard, Wayne. The Chisholm Trail. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1954. Georgetown Bicentennial Commission Heritage Committee. "Historical Sites of Williamson County, Texas," 1976.
Georgetown Heritage Society. Exploring Historic Georgetown. Georgetown, 1987. History of Texas with a Biographical History of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson Counties. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1893.
Jones, Ralph Wood. Southwestern University, 1840-1961. Austin: Jenkins Publishing
The company, San Felipe Press, 1973.
Leffler, John J. "Williamson County 1848-1998, Williamson County Sesquicentennial," Austin American-Statesman, September 27, 1998.
Leffler, John J. Williamson County: An Illustrated History. San Antonio: Historical Publishing Network, 2000.
Makemson, W. K. Historical Sketch of First Settlement and Organization of Williamson County. Georgetown: Sun Printing, 1904.
Nash, Sean, RPA, and Gregory Staples. Archaeological Survey and Testing of 41WM1095, The Fanners State Bank Building, City of Georgetown, Williamson County, Texas. Austin: Archaeological and Cultural Science Group, 2004.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, Georgetown, Texas, 1885, 1889, 1894, 1900, 1905, 1916, 1924-40.
Scarbrough, Clara. Land of Good Water: Williamson County, Texas, History. Georgetown: Williamson County Sun Printing, 1973.
Schrank, John E. "Farmers State Bank." Typed manuscript, 1980. Copy in Williamson County Historical Commission files.
Utley, Dan K. Sentimental Journey: A Guide to Preserving the Architectural Heritage of Georgetown, Texas. Georgetown: Georgetown Heritage Society, 1988.
Williamson County commissioners court records, deed records, mechanics liens records, and property tax records. County clerk's office, Williamson County courthouse, Georgetown, Texas.
- Makemson. (14)
- Deed records of Williamson County, Texas, Vol. 1, pp. 20-22. Clement Stubblefield Survey, plat map 31218.
- Deed records of Williamson County, Texas, Vol. 1, pp. 97, 194, 195, 295.
- Deed records of Williamson County, Texas, Vol. 1, p. 295.
- Deed records of Williamson County, Texas, Vol. 13, p. 378.
- Deed records of Williamson County, Texas, Vol. 13, p. 485.
- Deed records of Williamson County, Texas, Vol. 15, pp. 776-777, Vol. 16, p. 672.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, Georgetown, Texas, 1885, 1889.
- Deeds of Trust of Williamson County, Texas, Vol. 2, p. 188.
- Utley 20
- Scarbrough 228, 229.
- Deed records of Williamson County, Texas, vol. 102, p. 339.
- Fisher papers.
- Utley 17.
- Deed Records of Williamson County, Texas, vol. 120, p. 265.
- A. A. Booty, president, The First Stockholders of the Farmers State Bank, original corporate records of First Texas Bank, Georgetown, Texas, August 25, 1905, p. 25.
- A. A. Booty, president, Records of Minutes, Board of Directors, Farmers State Bank, original corporate records of First State Bank, Georgetown, Texas, November 4, 1909, p. 86.
- Deed records of Williamson County, Texas, vol. 135, p. 207.
- Scarbrough 364.
- "The Farmer's State Bank: An Architectural Description," pp. 10-11.
- Deed Records of Williamson County, Texas, vol. 456, p. 26, vol. 457, p. 479, vol. 493, pp. 108-109.
- Nash, October 2004.