Mondale is on Mustang Creek and Farm Road 1660, thirty miles northeast of Austin in Williamson County. It was once called Springtown or Stringtown but was renamed for Mona House, daughter of Edward Mandell House, friend, and advisor of President Woodrow Wilson. Colonel House owned a large farm at Mondale, inherited from his grandfather and visited it occasionally. A gin was built in the community in 1899, and some French immigrants lived there. House offered ten acres for a school, but the community wanted the school building elsewhere. The school became part of the Hutto system in 1949. In the early 1980s, only farmhouses and a scattered population remained.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
* * * *
The cemetery is located on FM 1660 between Hutto & Jonah on the north side of San Gabriel River near the intersection of Monadale Gin and road going to Taylor. There are between 9-13 funeral home markers, with no names.
As of Sep. 24, 2010, the entrance lane to the cemetery is located on the east side of FM 1620 across the road from the TEXMIX Concrete and Materials plant. The lane is drivable by car and is only a short distance from the cemetery. The cemetery is a square plot about 40 x 40 feet and overgrown with ground cover, but it had been maintained at one time as there was no brush or saplings. Only three gravestones were observed, and none of the funeral markers mentioned above, but they could have been hidden by the ground cover.