The first post office established in this community opened in 1876 under the name Taylorsville. In 1882, when the city was incorporated, it was renamed Taylor. The post office was housed in a number of locations until this structure was built in 1929-30. A finely crafted example of the Classical Revival style that characterized federal projects of the 1920s, the building features six round-arched windows on the ground floor; a balustrade and parapet with garland panel on the second floor; an elaborate entry portico; stone columns; and a Classical entablature.
Latitude: 30.5706 Longitude: -97.411
Address: 202 W 4th St
United States Post Office At Taylor, Texas
The Texas Land Company platted the town of Taylorsville, Texas, named for Moses Taylor, one of the officials of the International and Great Northern Railroad. The United States Post Office, with J. B. Loper as Postmaster, was opened on August 9, 1876, when the railroad reached what was listed as Taylorville. 
The first Post Office was a wooden building on the east side of Main Street near the railroad tracks.  On February 25, 1879, this building and 28 others were destroyed by a fire which started in the International Hotel just north of the railroad tracks. 
The second Post Office was a few doors below the First National Bank, and John O. Frink was the Postmaster.  Taylorsville or Taylorville became Taylor at the end of 1880, and the town was incorporated in 1882 with Daniel Moody, the first mayor. 
In 1890 the Post Office was moved to the south side of the John Thread-gill Building on Main and Fourth Streets and a year later to the corner of West Second and Talbot Streets.
For a short time, the Post Office was at the corner of East Second and Talbot Streets, where Cross-Allen Co. is today. 
On January 15, 190, Postmaster Henry C. Payne signed a lease for the Post Office to be housed in the Goldstein Building on the northwest corner of Main and Fourth (Olive) Streets. 
On September 15, 1903, Rural Free Delivery came to Taylor with three rural routes. Delivery was most often made on horseback; and children on holiday from school, farmers, ranchers, and villagers greeted the new service. 
On October 12, 1914, the United States of America purchased from Robert J. Eckhardt and wife, Ruby H., and Oscar E. Roberts and wife, Isabella, the site of the present Post Office for five thousand dollars. This was Lots 1, 2, and 30 feet from the south side of Lot 3 in Block 20. This is the northwest corner of Talbot and Fourth Streets, being 138 feet on Talbot Street, 125 feet on Fourth Street, the west side a public alley, and the north side a part of Lot 3.9.
On April 5, 1922, post office space was leased by Postmaster Hubert work  in the Marse Building at the southeast corner of Fourth and Talbot Streets.
The Post Office was connected to the T. W. Marse Department Store. An arch¬way at the rear of the store led to the mail boxes with the service windows in the north part of the building. 
Congressman James Buchanan began the work on appropriations for the present building , which was opened on June 28, 1930.  The cornerstone reads:
A. W. MELLON
SECRETARY OF THE TREASURY
JAMES A. WETMORE
ACTING SUPERVISING ARCHITECT
"Constructed in the style of Renaissance Revival, this building has many fine exterior and interior details. Note the fluted columns, the curvilinear keystones, the metalwork, and the stone quions. Interior features include a marble stair with metal railings and multi-paned transom windows. 
In September, 1921, a hurricane brought 23 inches of rain to Williamson county, washing away many bridges.
Postmaster John Brunner of Taylor and Postmaster William E. Thies of Granger organized automobile-boat service to keep the mail moving. Mail from Taylor crossed the San Gabriel River at Circleville by boat and went to Granger, where the Missouri-Kansas Texas Railroad had resumed service. 
Postmaster John Brunner was known as "Mr. Democrat." During World War II, he delivered the mail from servicemen to their families any day and at any time. In 1948 Postmaster Brunner said that each year since 1915, receipts had increased due to Taylor's growth and his efficient staff. 
In 1948 Jack Perryman was listed as a city carrier.  He was known as "Penny Jack," and he always carried a small coin purse of pennies to give away to each child he met.
James M. Duncan was the first Postmaster selected by the Civil Service regulations. Prior to that, there was a "spoils system," which was the custom of changing postmasters as national political powers changed parties. 
US POSTMASTERS OF TAYLOR TAYLORVILLE:
J. B. Loper
James B. Simons John 0. Frink TAYLOR:
John 0. Frink
John H. Hutchinson Edward A. Robertson
Carrie E. Hoke Frank S. way
John L. Brunner Alex P. Hicks
Paula Hicks (acting)
John L. Brunner
Mrs. Nell H. Brunner (acting)
Daniel M. Hannan
J. B. Dabbs (officer in charge)
James M. Duncan (officer in charge)
James M. Duncan
Earl Biels (officer in charge)
Carey R. Vasquez (officer in charge)
August 9, 1876, January 4, 1877, January 12, 1880
August 31, 1880, March 30, 1890
December 20, 1892, May 9, 1894
May 24, 1898
February 14, 1912, March 23, 1915
September 10, 1924 December 1, 1930 February 10, 1934 may 20, 1948
August 31, 1950, December 26, 1972, June 6, 1973
November 10, 1973, November 11, 1973, November 4, 1990, March 17, 1990