This cemetery complex is actually three cemeteries,
Round Rock Cemetery, an old slave cemetery and Hopewell cemetery.
Marker Text -
Established in the early 1850s in what is now known as Old Round Rock, this cemetery is the burial ground of many area pioneers and outstanding Round Rock citizens. The oldest legible tombstone, which marks the burial site of 11-year-old Angeline Scott, bears the year 1851, although there are many unmarked graves that could date from before that time. One-half acre in the northwest part of the 4.5-acre cemetery was used as a burial ground for slaves and freedmen during the nineteenth century. Numerous war veterans are buried here, as is bank robber and outlaw Sam Bass, who died July 21, 1878, two days after being shot by Texas Rangers in Round Rock. Other buried in the cemetery include G. T. Cole, one of the few area eye doctors; Round Rock broom factory owner Sam Landrum; stonemason John H. Gray; Round Rock Presbyterian Church minister John Hudson; and Methodist circuit rider J. W. Ledbetter. One unusual tombstone, which marks the gravesite of Mary Ann Lavender, bears the date February 30, 1870. The Round Rock Cemetery, which contains more than 2,000 graves, is a visible reminder of the early history of this part of Williamson County. The burial ground is cared for by the Round Rock Cemetery Association. (1983)
ROUND ROCK CEMETERY 3-28-1983 Supplementary Historical Narrative Myreta Matthews -
The Round Rock Cemetery was established in the early 1850s, in what is now known as Old Round Rock, and has contributed much to the history of the community as well as Williamson County and the State of Texas as a whole. Settlers, who moved in while Texas was still a Republic, helped develop this county.
On the roster of those buried here are the names of men and women who have made a lasting contribution to the history of this area. According to Mrs. Walter Biel, former Cemetery Association Treasurer, there are between 2,000 and 3,000 people buried there, although hundreds of the graves are unmarked. Some of the graves are distinguished by persons as far back as 1771, and many more by those who may now seem forgotten but were memorable personalities in the city's past.
In a brief survey of that history, Mrs. Biel recalls that among those born in the early 1800s now buried at the cemetery was the Rev. John Hudson, a minister of the Round Rock Presbyterian Church, which stood where the First Baptist Church is now located. Also born around that time was the Rev. J.W. Ledbetter, a Methodist circuit rider, and the Rev.A.C. Aten, a Christian preacher.
Born in 1841 was John H. Gray, Mrs. Biel's father, a rock mason. Gray quarried rock for Trinity college, the John Nelson Building, and the A.K. Anderson Building, which now houses Carlin's Grocery and Quick's Pharmacy.
Also buried at the cemetery is Dr.G.T.Cole, who lived from 1849 to 1918. A resident of Old Town, he was probably the only eye doctor in the area in the early years.
Residents of Round Rock during the later 1800s included Mr. and Mrs. Alex Harris, who ran a grocery store in Old Town.
Sam Landrum was the owner of a broom factory, also during the early 1900s, which was housed in what is now Robinson's Auto Service. His brooms once took first place at a World's Fair, Mrs. Biel said.
Many other well known and important citizens of Round Rock could be included in the history.
The history of the Round Rock Cemetery has been well preserved and documented by several individuals and interested groups.
In 1979 an Official Texas Historical Marker was installed in that portion designated as the SLAVE BURIAL GROUNDS.
The present application for a marker for the entire cemetery of more than six acres has essentially the same history. The facts in the acquisition of the land, as documented by Mrs. Lerlene Ward, are exactly the same. She has kept the records and has done the research for both applications. Mrs. John W. Ledbetter wrote the narrative for the Slave Burial Grounds, which redefines the existing relationship.
Enclosed with this application is the inscription on the Historical Marker, installed in 1979, along with Mrs. Ledbetter's narrative and some other pertinent material.
HISTORY OF THE ROUND ROCK CEMETERY Narrative By Lerlene Womble Ward
On August 20, 1888, Mr. Royston, Harris, Graham, and Mays were the first directors elected to the Round Rock Cemetery Association.
The first directors bought the first parcel of land from Mr. Weaver, Kincheloe, and Archer, for $81.00.
The second parcel of land was bought from L. M. Mays and J. W. Black on October 22, 1889.
The third parcel, joining the other two, was bought, November 4, 1889, from Thomas and Bettie Smith, for $15.00. This parcel is at the south end of the Cemetery.
Grave markers prove there were many graves on the first parcel of land before the land was bought. The oldest marker, with a visible date, is 11-year-old Angeline Scott Died July 31, 1851. Including Angeline, there are 11 graves with Seay, Cluck, Newson, Rowe, Blair, Asher, Mays, and Oatts, buried in the 1850s.
In the 1860s, we have 46 visible markers with Mays, Ashers, Weavers, Oatts, and Harrell listed on some of them. In 1862, the first Mrs. John D. Robertson was laid to rest here. To date, December 1982, Round Rock still has a Mr. and Mrs. John D. Robertson living here. The Robertson family has 21 graves in the Round Rock Cemetery.
There were 67 people buried in the 1870s. Some of the names are Mays, Allen, Simmons, Cox, Aten, Tisdale, and Hurt. The Tisdale family has 20 graves in the Cemetery.
In 1977, Mr. W. E. Cox from Bartlett, Texas, came to the Cemetery to see the Cox graves. Mr. W. E. Cox's father, W. T. Cox, married Bettie Smith on August 5, 1877, at Round Rock. Bettie died in 1878 and was buried beside three children in Round Rock. Mr. W. E. Cox was 90 years old at the time of his visit in 1977. He later sent letters with dates about his family.
July 21, 1878, the Bank robber outlaw, Sam Bass was shot by Texas Rangers in Round Rock, died two days later and is buried in the north west corner of the Cemetery.
In the 1880s, Briggs, Williams, and Carrington names were among 103 graves.
In the 1890s, Blacks, Jackson, Cunningham, Holloways, Lovings, and Mayfields were among 84 graves.
Civil War Veterans buried in the Round Rock Cemetery are,
George W. Allen 5-21-1840 to 5-19-1911
M. D. Arledge 8-27-1830 to 7-7-1910
Jacob Awalt 10-7-1822 to 1908
William Layfette Bird 1824 to 1901
James Blackman 1786 to 1870
David Blair 1-15-1812 to 10-28-1896
B. T. Bowmer 6-1-1836 to 2-18-1872
T. M. Brown 7-29-1812 to 3-16-1875
J. L. Durrett 9-4-1827 to 1-29-1888
Thomas Caldwell 3-24-1812
J. A. Catterton 9-27-1825 to 2-8-1865
William Berry Crutcher 12-19-1817 to 12-30-1876
Barge Daily 1840-1921
B. L. Dalton 5-11-1819 to 9-1-1895
Charles Dodge 1825 to 1900
J. A. Ducar 1840 to 1903
Paul Fahner 1-25-1822 to 2-17-1898
D. Fause 11-17-1843 to 12-24-1923
W. B. Gorde 2-8-1836 to 7-22-1914
John W. Gray 8-1-1841 to 7-11-1931
A. W. Grimes 7-5-1850 to 7-19-1875
W. J. Gunn 3-24-1843--12-25-1867
John C. Halton 3-16-1827 to 3-18-1902
F. M. Harrell 1-22-1835--12-11-1919
Rev. Edward Hudson-, Chaplain 7-12-1837 to 8-17-1877
Rev. John E Hudson 10-12-1831 to 2-22-1914 / Chaplain and brother to Edward. 
Spanish American War veterans were,
Samuel E. Loving 4-20-1868 to 3-7-1953
Aaron Bradley 8-15-1871 to 1-18-1954 5.
Markers show there are 14 World War 11 Veterans buried in the Cemetery.
Charles E. Barnett 4-20-1881 to 2-13-1954
Curtis B. Fause 11-9-1888 to 7-3-1955
Merrell M. Jester 7-21-1891-2-10.-1959
William A. Trusdel Jr. 3-26-1889 to 8-19-1968
Roy Eric Ross 12-15-1893--9-21-1957
William 0. Awalt 6-1864 to 6-10-1927
Albert Lee Dedear 3-20-1894 to 1-23-1947
Walter Robey 9-12-1898 to 10-10-1918
Vernon Day 2-18-1892 to 10-31-1964
Joseph B. Jester 9-20-1896 to 9-19-1967
Marion Francis Womble 7-15-1895 to 7-28-1943
William M. Simmons 8-28-1913 to 3-5-1975
Victoriano C. Pena 12-11-1924 to 11-28-1963
Bill L. Kavanaugh 4-14-1916-9-24-1963
Veteran Loyd William Everts 11-9-1932 to 2-13-1951, severed in the Korea war.
November 11, 1977, The Round Rock American Legion, George Johns Post 447, donated a flag pole and flag to the Round Rock Cemetery Association. This gift was presented in honor of all the veterans buried in the Cemetery.
Medial Doctors buried in the Cemetery are,
A. McDonald 8-7-1834 to 6-30-1886
Thomas Hail 3-19-1786-4-11-1882
J. C. Black Died 6-11-1869 Age 49
Josoph A. Holloway 9-29-1852 to 7-19-1915
J. W. Jenkins 8-15-1832 to 6-2-1904
The north west corner of the Cemetery has always been the Slave section of the Cemetery.
From 1977 to 1980, several Clubs and Organizations of the Round Rock community worked together to restore the Slave section. They erected a sign and built a walk. May .7, 1980,
a Historical Marker was placed near the sign. There are many unmarked graves. 2.ames on some of the markers are Blair, Casey, Caldwell, Williams, Wilson, Oats, Melchobia Harris, Louisa Gault, Bowner, Kincheloe, and Johnson. The fact that these same names appear on some of the white graves in the other part of the Cemetery would indicate that some of the slaves took their owner's names.
One unusual marker in the Cemetery reads, In memory of Mary Ann Lavender- Died Feb. 30, 1870, Age 40 years.
The Round Rock Cemetery has been maintained, through the years, by membership fees and donations. There is no way to tell how much volunteer work has been done.
Two outstanding people are Walter and Mamie Biel. They served many years as director and officers of the Association. Their many years of love and labor to the Cemetery will always be remembered by the Association.
Honor and credit should go to all the past directors. Some of them are L. O. Ramsey, J. W. Ledbetter, Mrs. L. O. Brady, W. E. Henna, S. L. Landrum, Walter Biel, Harry Robertson, and
Mrs. Viola Webb.
Present directors are L. 0. Ramsey, Mrs. Walter Elam, and Mrs. Lerlene Ward.